Our commitment to web accessibility
1st Central is committed to all customers, online and offline. We want everyone - including those with a wide range of needs - to be able to access and use our website.
To help make this a reality, we are constantly striving to make sure our website is accessible, user-friendly, and easy to navigate.
Launched in 2022, our website was designed and developed using an inclusive framework. This involved applying the principles of inclusive and accessible design.
As part of this, we carefully followed the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.1). This included:
- Ensuring all text and interactive elements have sufficient colour contrast against the background
- Ensuring all interactive elements are focusable and accessible using the keyboard alone. This accommodates assistive technology users or users with reduced mobility
- Semantic HTML is used to ensure the site is operable for assistive technology users
- Page content is structured to ensure easy and efficient navigation
- Captions are provided for video content
We have conducted multiple accessibility audits to ensure the WCAG 2.1 Guidelines are met on 1st Central's domains. We continue to do so when new areas of the site are developed and launched. During this process, on-page components of the website are tested to ensure they meet accessibility guidelines on a live environment.
We also know there is always more to learn about accessibility. We work with digital accessibility consultants to further develop our knowledge, and keep what we know up-to-date at all times.
Browsers and devices
This website has been tested in multiple browsers and on multiple devices and is accessible across most common platforms.
How to make text on our website bigger:
- In Internet Explorer, go to the 'View' menu and select 'Text Size'
- In Mozilla Firefox, go to the 'View' menu and select 'Text Size'
- In Opera, go to the 'File' menu, select 'Preferences' then 'Fonts' and then change the minimum font size (pixels)
- In Safari, go to the 'View' menu and select 'Make Text Bigger' or press the Apple Key and then the plus key (+)
What’s next for accessibility at 1st Central?
Making our online and offline content accessible is a journey, not a destination. It’s a journey we'll always travel, as we strive to embed accessibility into everything we do.
Always learning. Always improving.
We continue to have regular digital accessibility checks to ensure our website is meeting the needs of all our customers.
Making our documentation accessible
We are looking into providing our documentation in different formats. This will help support customers who have visual impairments.
Pushing forwards with our Vulnerable Customers mission
Our Vulnerable Customers mission is part of our DNA. It’s what drives us to keep seeking ways we can further support our customers - in both online and offline spaces.
How to get further support
If you need further help with web accessibility, or want further guidance about how to customise your device to meet your needs, we recommend the following resources:
Help with making our site more accessible
Did we miss something?
We are committed to making improvements to our website’s accessibility, so we’re always looking for feedback. If you would like to suggest any improvements, drop us an email at Accessibilityfeedback@first-central.com.
Although we won’t be able to respond to these emails directly, we’ll always investigate how we can take your suggestions on board.
Help & support
Whether you’re an existing customer or you’re looking to take out a new policy with
1st Central, you can find lots of useful information on our Help & support page.
We welcome calls through the Text Relay service. Dial 18001, followed by the number you require. You'll then be connected to an operator offering Textphone assistance.
Further information covering the use of Text Relay services can be found at www.textrelay.org